Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Acoustic guitar and 1st vocal tracks

Around 7:45 this evening, set up two large diaphragm condenser microphones to record an acoustic guitar track, one for instrument (CAD Equitek E-200), and one for the room (CAD GXL-2400), both recorded to track two. Changed positions a few times as the sound was a bit muffled; the final position was facing the outside wall, a foot in front of the mike, with the room mike about 4 feet to my left at a height of approx. 6'. Both microphones' on-board gain was up to 9 for a live feel.

A final check for sound levels around 8:00, then a take. Take one yielded the goods, so I put the guitar away and re-arranged the E-200 for a vocal take, this time having the mike two feet in front of my computer desk. I had the diaphragm at eye level, slightly angled toward the ground so I could sing into it without popping any P's or B's. Take one was also a keeper, although not necessarily the final take. I tried a second take but it was definitely inferior to the first. Both were kept, but ultimately, another vocal track will be recorded in the future.

Will the backing track need to be thought out again? Doubt is creeping in. As usual at this stage a good flat mix reveals the strengths and weaknesses of the initial tracks. Since my MIDI track was sent directly to stereo on linked tracks 15 & 16, the level of the instruments these tracks contain cannot be remixed. This might lead to a whole new recording using a new backing track or recording each instrument separately to individual tracks and lining them up with the existing recording (I cannot sync my computer to my multitrack at this point). Both have their merits and will yield valuable experience.

The next step will be an electric guitar part, however. But not tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment