Friday, April 23, 2010

After Victoria, Sing!

Friday evening usually means to relax and watch a movie after the evening meal. This evening's offering was "Young Victoria". Since we started to watch it early, by 9:30 it was over. This permitted me to slip downstairs and experiment with a new microphone placement for vocals.
CAD_E-200
The victim was obviously "Aftershock", which I ran through a total of 4 times, each time with a slightly different setting. I find that if the microphone is too sensitive, I tend to hold back, to avoid overloading the pre-amp. On the other hand, if my voice is placed too low in the mix, my voice starts to strain. I still have not found the perfect balance that is needed for optimal results.

Another experiment was to place the microphone in a corner and use a figure 8 polar pattern to get some of the room but to cancel out some of it also. To my surprise, the voice sounds more present, although I would have expected some boxiness, there seem to be none. This said, I am still not sure I have committed a final take to tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment