Friday, April 16, 2010

Bassline learning curve

In another life, I used to play bass with Clockwork 7, so many years ago it seems. I played a Univox replica of the Rickenbacker 4001 and loved weaving melodic ideas which would anchor the songs and give them a flavour somewhat exotic. I would always go for a Paperback Writer / Sgt Pepper sound when I could, the notes would just peak through the Treble and be there in all their Glory.

Now many (many) years later, my Univox stolen, replaced by a true Hofner 500/1, I am trying to learn the bass part I wrote for the Harpsichord for "Aftershock". Some of my bounce is back (Yea!) but some of the cross-fretboard work in the higher register (12th fret and up) needs a bit of work (not to mention limbering the fingers). I am playing through my H & H Bass Amp and realize I am in need of padding some rattles in my studio if I wish to record using a microphone.

The basic (MIDI) tracks have been recorded onto my hard-disk recorder and sound much better now that the sound is a bit beefed up. If I can manage a few hours of quiet over the week end, I will record the acoustic and electric guitars. Vocals? Maybe. Stay posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment