Wednesday, April 21, 2010

An NST playing session

What is unusual with recording and composing is, when I am caught up in the process, I have little time to actually practice guitar, let alone enjoying playing it for pleasure's sake. So, this evening saw a short break in the proceedings and I broke out my Country Gent and played.

Since the guitar is tuned in NST, I went for the pieces I have written for this tuning. In order, I played Morning Glory, Neiges, Misleading Chambers, and Danse de Sophia. Practice was soothing and quiet, just relishing the sounds and the tone of this wonderful guitar and staying relaxed throughout.

While I was preparing for this short note, I turned on the multitrack and listened to a rough mix of "Aftershock" several times through, the last time muting the vocal track. Compared to my recollection, it seems well balanced and quite enjoyable to listen to. The harpsichord and oboe give a Baroque tinge to it (which was not the original intention), yet this might change when adding the electric guitar part. Listening has confirmed that the vocal track will be re-recorded; I wish to strengthen my voice a bit, so the voice seems less strained. As it is, it lends a certain drama to the song which overstates the lyrics and is unnecessary. It is possible to write a song about loss without glossing it over with drama or histrionics. "In My Life" by The Beatles comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment